The DSI provides grants to support collaborative defence-relevant research and research related activities. Grants are open for application at regular intervals. The grants schemes are described in brief below, with further information available upon request.
Further information on the previous round of grants is available here.
The Defence Science Institute (DSI) is pleased to call for submissions to its 2018 Collaborative Research Grant Scheme.
The technology theme for this round of grants is
“Data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning providing defence and security organisation decision support and superiority”
Some example research areas include:
- Image, video and acoustic classification
- Intelligent sensor processing and management
- Hardware and systems diagnostics
- Enhanced targeting and tracking
- Threat characterisation
- Network resilience and intelligent switching
- Automation of data fusion
- Program investment analysis and prioritisation
Submissions are invited by university researchers for proposed collaborative research projects aligning with the specified technology theme. Up to $50,000 is available to support collaborative defence-relevant research that either leverages existing funding from other sources or potentially leads to larger projects funded from elsewhere. The funding will be awarded to the organisation of the lead investigator, which must be
- a formal Participant University in the DSI; or
- an Australian university collaborating with a Victorian-based SME where an SME employee is named as a co-investigator.
Applications naming a Defence or industry co-investigator will be looked upon favourably.
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis and must meet the specific criteria outlined separately (see info for applicants). The DSI makes no provision to accept or to fully fund every proposal submitted to the Grant scheme. The DSI reserves the right to reject proposals without consideration.
- Application portal opens for submissions on 6th July, 2018
- Close of submissions COB on 23rd July, 2018
- Review of short listed grants by the review committee on 10th August, 2018
- Announcement of successful grants late August 2018.
Only those applications submitted via the DSI portal before COB on 23rd July, 2018 will be considered in this round.
- DSI – COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH GRANTS – INFO FOR APPLICANTS vJuly2018
- Key Points-DSI Research Grant Agreement
The Defence Science Institute’s Research Higher Degree (RHD) Student Grant Scheme provides funding to support postgraduate research students undertaking research projects consistent with the Institute’s technology themes.It helps to
- Support capability development and capacity building in research areas where Defence has an interest;
- Facilitate defence-relevant research engagement between universities, industry, DST Group, Defence and/or research organisations
by providing stipend support for students undertaking their research higher degree on defence-related projects and/or Defence-industry placements as part of their study.
RHD Student Grants can be used to support any student working on a project that meets the defined criteria. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis.
To apply online – click HERE.
Other useful information for download
DSI-APR Intern (Industry) Voucher
DSI has partnered with APR Intern to operate the DSI Industry Internship Program. The Program is administered as a stream of the AMSI Intern Program, focused on defence related industry. Under the AMSI Intern Program, DSI will provide supplementary funding of $10,000 before GST towards the costs of the internship, covering the Academic Mentor and Project Management costs. For further information, see the APR Intern’s website https://aprintern.org.au/dsi/