The Defence Science Institute (DSI) is pleased to call for submissions to its 2019 Collaborative Research Grant Scheme. The technology theme for this round of grants is
“Shipyard 4.0 Enabling Research”
DSI’s Collaborative Research Grant Round 1 -2019 will seek to fund research into enabling technologies to support Australia’s Naval Shipbuilding program through the Shipyard 4.0 environment. Specifically research in the following areas with an Industry 4.0 low volume, high cost, highly customisable product focus are considered applicable:
- Virtual and augmented reality (cyber-physical connection, HMI)
- Big data and analytics
- Ubiquitous connectivity and IoT (including cyber-security, sensors)
- Digital twin
- Secure cloud
- Production automation (including robotics for limited access areas, unmanned vehicles for dimensional inspection, simulation and planning)
Applications will be assessed on described applicability to Shipyard 4.0. Assessment will be undertaken by subject matter experts from DST and other agencies external to DSI.
Submissions are invited by university researchers for proposed collaborative research projects aligning with the specified technology theme. Up to $50,000 is available to support collaborative defence-relevant research that either leverages existing funding from other sources or potentially leads to larger projects funded from elsewhere. The funding will be awarded to the organisation of the lead investigator, which must be:
- a formal Participant University in the DSI; or
- an Australian university collaborating with a Victorian-based Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) where an SME employee is named as a co-investigator.
Applications naming a Defence or industry co-investigator will be weighted favourably.
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis and must meet the specific criteria outlined in the Information for Applicants document. The DSI makes no provision to accept or to fully fund every proposal submitted to the Grant scheme. The DSI reserves the right to reject proposals without consideration.
- Application portal opens for submissions on 14th June 2019
- Close of submissions COB on 1st July, 2019
- Announcement of successful grants late July 2019.