Call for Submissions
The Defence Science Institute (DSI) is pleased to call for submissions to its 2018 Collaborative Research Grant Scheme.
The technology theme for this round of grants is
“Data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning providing defence and security organisation decision support and superiority”
Some example research areas include:
- Image, video and acoustic classification
- Intelligent sensor processing and management
- Hardware and systems diagnostics
- Enhanced targeting and tracking
- Threat characterisation
- Network resilience and intelligent switching
- Automation of data fusion
- Program investment analysis and prioritisation
Submissions are invited by university researchers for proposed collaborative research projects aligning with the specified technology theme. Up to $50,000 is available to support collaborative defence-relevant research that either leverages existing funding from other sources or potentially leads to larger projects funded from elsewhere. The funding will be awarded to the organisation of the lead investigator, which must be
- a formal Participant University in the DSI; or
- an Australian university collaborating with a Victorian-based SME where an SME employee is named as a co-investigator.
Applications naming a Defence or industry co-investigator will be looked upon favourably.
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis and must meet the specific criteria outlined separately (see info for applicants). The DSI makes no provision to accept or to fully fund every proposal submitted to the Grant scheme. The DSI reserves the right to reject proposals without consideration.
- Application portal opens for submissions on 6th July, 2018
- Close of submissions COB on 23rd July, 2018
- Review of short listed grants by the review committee on 10th August, 2018
- Announcement of successful grants late August 2018.
Only those applications submitted via the DSI portal before COB on 23rd July, 2018 will be considered in this round.