The Defence Science Institute (DSI) with the support of the Defence Science and Technology (DST) Group and Defence South Australia (Defence SA) have co-hosted a two-day Innovation Pitchfest to seek out people with what may be little more than a really good idea.
The Pitchfest took place on both October 3rd and 4th at 2pm-4pm in the Pacific 2017 innovation theatrette. Thirty (30) pitchers selected from industry, academia and DST will each have three (3) minutes to pitch their innovations to a mixed audience of potential partners, customers, peers and venture funding sources.
This year’s judging panel is comprised of the following respected and expert members:
- Ms Kate Louis – Head Defence & Industry Policy, Australian Industry Group
- Mr Bryan O’Connor – MOOG Australia & NZ, General Manager
- Ms Laura Anderson – Chairwoman of LaunchVic and DSI Advisory Board
- A/Professor Regina Crameri – Associate Director DSI, DST Group Scientist
- Mr Matthew Morgan – General Manager Trade, Austrade
The three winners for the 2017 DSI PACIFIC Innovation Pitchfest are:
- Best Maritime Innovation – Jeff Lang of Titomic, Pitch Topic: “Faster, Larger and Smarter Advanced Manufacturing”
- Best Overall Innovation – Henry Bilinsky of MicroTau, Pitch Topic: “Sharks on a Plane: Applying Microstructured Coatings for Drag Reduction“
- Best Presenter – Gavin Brennen of Macquarie University, Pitch Topic : “Quantum Radar for Mass”
Left : Craig Butler (DSI), Laura Anderson (LaunchVic), Kate Louise -behind (Australian Industry Group), Gavin Brennen (Macquarie University), Henry Bilinsky (MicroTau), Sumen Rai (Defence SA), Regina Crameri (DSI) and Matthew Morgan (Austrade).