The Defence Science Institute (DSI) has partnered with AMSI Intern to deliver the DSI Industry Internship Program to businesses servicing the defence sector. This allows the delivery of a cost effective solution for tackling research challenges while also aiming to increase the size of the Defence industry ecosystem which will ultimately lead to stronger innovation in this industrial sector.
The AMSI Intern program provides direct access to young talent—across all disciplines—to assist with defence-related projects requiring additional expertise. The AMSI Intern model places a PhD student, with an academic supervisor, into full time 4-5 month internships to address the R&D project outlined by industry. With a 96% service satisfaction rating with industry partners, once research-shy businesses are now reaping the benefits and gaining a competitive advantage.
The Intern program allows your business to further develop and innovate your business for future growth:
- All Intellectual Property remains with the business
- Potential recruitment opportunities
- No need to list the student on payroll, insurance and public liability covered by the University
- Fill a short term need, 4-5 month internships provide attractive flexibility
- Ability to connect with educational institutes
- Access to an academic supervisor with specialist knowledge
- Linkage Grants opportunities
- AMSI takes care of the admin with quick turnaround times
- AMSI has a mature internship program modelled on international success
- Bring a new skill set to your business
If you have identified a capability gap in your organization for a particular project, quote development or a systemic operational problem then fill it with an expert having access to research resources and years of experience. This is where the Intern program delivers.
Under the AMSI Intern Program, DSI will provide supplementary funding of $10,000 towards the costs of the internship (typically $26,000), covering the Academic Mentor and Project Management costs.
*Total five month program cost $26k ($3k per month Student, $5.5k Academic Mentor, $5.5k Facilitation Fee)
The process for application to the Intern Placement programme is as follows:
- Industry partner expresses interest, (AMSI and DSI may assist with building the project) in arranging a placement either through AMSI
- Scope of project is submitted to AMSI with a request for DSI supplementary funding included
- AMSI submits the proposal and the supplementary funding request to the DSI for review and approval via email
- The DSI Executive and the Intern Placement Review Board reviews and approves/rejects the request for supplementary funding
- DSI sends signed approval to AMSI
- AMSI finalises the intern and arranges placement and payment in accordance with AMSI processes.
Download amsiintern_dsi_partnership-flyer-2017 for more information.
For more information visit the AMSI website.